Pastoral Resources for Birth Center and NICU
The birth of a baby is miraculous. It is a defining season in your life. That’s why we want to give you the extra support you need during this special moment. Our Pastoral Care Department is here to help you navigate and thrive in the transitions of relationships and emotions.
At Covenant, extraordinary care in the Birth Center and the NICU means:
- We provide wellness for mothers and their newborn during childbirth
- We offer optimal emotional and spiritual support if problems occur, including pregnancy loss, stillbirth or newborn death
- We respect personal religious views, cultural values and the right to privacy and confidentiality
- We care for the mother and infant as a family unit, even if they are separated at times
- We value life as precious and believe that we are created in the image of God (Imago Dei) – Psalm 139
Birth Center Resources
You’ll go through a lot of changes when you have a baby. And you have a lot to prepare for to be a parent. That’s why Covenant HealthCare is here to help you every step of the way. We’ll provide you with the resources you need, whether you’re an expecting mom, a new father or a grandparent. Get the extra support you need with our birth center resources:
- Childbirth education
- Family adjustment
- General maternity information
- Guidance on hospital stay and services
- Infant care and feeding
- Mother care
- Prenatal information
- Transitions to home
For more information about our Birth Center, you can contact us at:
Mother-Baby Unit: 989.583.4350
Mother-Baby Unit/Obstetrical Specialized Care: 989.583.4450
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Resources
If babies are born prematurely or with medical problems that require special care, they may stay in the Covenant Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), the only Level III Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (RNICU) in the region. The NICU staff recognizes you are the most valuable team member in relation to the health of your baby. As you participate in your baby's care, the following resources are available to you:
- Getting acquainted with the NICU (physical and social environment)
- Milestones and memories
- Parenting your infant
- Treatment and progress
- Transition to home
For more information about the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Covenant HealthCare, please call 989.583.4596.
We want your time at our hospital to be a blessing. So during your stay at the hospital, we provide you with the following services:
- Baptisms & blessings - One of our staff chaplains or your clergy can minister baptism or blessing to your baby.
- Clergy visits - Clergy of all faiths are welcomed and encouraged to visit you while in the birth center or NICU. Our pastoral care office will notify your clergy or spiritual leader of your admission to the hospital (per your request).
- Chapel - Our hospital chapel is located on the first floor of the Harrison campus. It is open and available for all our parents, families and friends.
- Eucharistic Ministry - If you wish to receive communion, please call the pastoral care office at 989.583.6042.
- Pastoral visits - Our hospital chaplains are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to visit with you and your family. Ask your nurse to page one of our professional chaplains if you would like our hospital chaplains to visit.