The stroke program at Covenant HealthCare helps to prevent, recognize, assess and treat conditions related to stroke and stroke complications. The program also helps to identify and reduce the risk factors for recurrent stroke. We provide a full continuum of care that includes inpatient care (a 10-bed neuro intensive care unit and a 25-bed neuro step-down unit), a 40-bed inpatient neuro rehab unit, a 20-bed transitional care unit and a neuro-focused outpatient clinic.
Our staff provides intensive, coordinated, multidisciplinary rehabilitation for patients who have had a stroke. Our primary goals are to:
- Help patients gain functional independence
- Teach patients psychological, social coping and adaptation skills
- Assist in community integration and participation in life roles.
Our program has been Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities accredited since May 2008.
Our treatment techniques include:
- Neuro-developmental treatment (NDT)
- Proprioceptive (the sense of one's body) neuromuscular facilitation (PNF)
- Therapeutic and stretching exercises
- Modalities including Bioness® 200 and 300
- Weight-bearing and positioning activities
- Functional mobility training including bed, transfer, gait training and wheelchair mobility
- Balance and coordination exercises
Stroke Education and Support
Covenant's stroke rehabilitation program provides monthly education classes
- Educational class on medical aspects and risk factors on the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. on the fourth floor
- Educational class on mobility on the second and fourth Thursdays of every month from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. on the fourth floor
- Stroke support group on the third Wednesday of every month from 3 to 4 p.m. on the fourth floor
The public is welcome to attend. For dates and times or additional information, please call 989.583.2827.
American Stroke Association
National Stroke Association Neuron Developmental Treatment Association (NDTA)
Lodging is available for out-of-town families at the McNally House, located at 1701 North Michigan Avenue. Please call 989.583.0155 for more information.
Acute Care: 989.583.6510
Covenant Rehabilitation: 989.583.2701
Outpatient Adult and Pediatric Neurological Clinic: 989.583.2752
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Locations