A stroke can be a life-changing event. That’s why Covenant offers a stroke program to help prevent, recognize, assess and treat conditions related to stroke and stroke complications. With the stroke program, you’ll get the support you need to identify and reduce the risk factors for recurrent stroke. Our program has been Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities accredited since May 2008. So just like we’ve been providing extraordinary stroke rehabilitation care for generations, you can trust us to do the same for you today.
What makes our stroke medicine program extraordinary?
- We provide a full continuum of care that includes inpatient care
- 10-bed neuro intensive care unit
- 25-bed neuro step-down unit)
- 40-bed inpatient neuro rehab unit
- Neuro-focused outpatient clinic
- Our staff provides intensive, coordinated, multidisciplinary rehabilitation for patients who have had a stroke.
Our Covenant HealthCare stroke program’s primary goals are to:
- Assist in community integration and participation in life roles
- Help patients gain functional independence
- Teach patients psychological, social coping and adaptation skills
Our treatment techniques include:
- Balance and coordination exercises
- Functional mobility training including bed, transfer, gait training and wheelchair mobility
- Modalities including Bioness® 200 and 300
- Neuro-developmental treatment (NDT)
- Proprioceptive (the sense of one's body) neuromuscular facilitation (PNF)
- Therapeutic and stretching exercises
- Weight-bearing and positioning activities
Stroke Education and Support
Covenant's stroke rehabilitation program also provides monthly education classes:
- Educational class on medical aspects, risk factors and mobility: On the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. on the fourth floor
- Stroke support group: On the third Wednesday of every month from 3 to 4 p.m. on the fourth floor
*The public is welcome to attend. For dates and times or additional information, please call 989-583-2827.
*We also provide lodging for out-of-town families at the McNally House, located at 1701 North Michigan. For more information, please call 989-583-0155. For more information, please call 989-583-0155.
American Stroke Association
National Stroke Association
Neuron Developmental Treatment Association (NDTA)
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact us at:
Acute Care (Hospital): 989- 583-6289.
Covenant Rehabilitation (Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit): 989-583-2701
Outpatient Adult and Pediatric Neurological Clinic: 989-583-2752