Covenant HealthCare was born on July 1, 1998 as two of mid-Michigan's finest health care providers merged to form one...Saginaw General and St. Luke's Hospitals. Forged by the demands of a new and changing health care environment, Covenant HealthCare is positioned to better compete in the coming managed care environment by reducing costs through consolidation when appropriate, improving access to care, expanding services and improving quality of services.
In June 1996, Saginaw General Hospital began exploring the potential of forming an alliance with another health care provider. The hospital along with its Board of Trustees realized the need to seek a partner in order to continue to provide quality health care to the area. They realized the movement towards managed care was forcing the resizing and reconfiguration of doctor and hospital services. By partnering, resources and facilities could be combined to provide more strength in facing market pressures and help in reducing costs.
The decision to merge was confirmed by two separate, major consulting firms. After an extensive period of analysis and investigation, a list of potential partners had been narrowed down to three in the spring of 1997. The Board of Trustees of Saginaw General Healthcare Corporation and Saginaw General Hospital decided on May 29, 1997 to merge with St. Luke's Healthcare Association.
Together as a new corporation, Covenant HealthCare has the ability to offer the communities served a broader spectrum of services. Covenant HealthCare can provide complete obstetric and neonatal care, pediatric and pediatric intensive care services right on through the widest range of adult and adult critical care services including cardiac and cancer care programs.
Based upon the number of admissions, Covenant HealthCare is the sixth largest medical facility in Michigan. Covenant HealthCare is Saginaw County's largest employer with 4,000 employees and has more than 700 volunteers who provide approximately 97,000 hours of service per year.
Covenant HealthCare is dedicated to physician training and education and provides this important service at all levels in answer to community and regional health care needs. Many of our 400 physicians provide clinical education and training to resident physicians. Covenant HealthCare also serves as a training site for students pursuing other careers in the health care field.
SAGINAW GENERAL HOSPITAL
1887 - 1998
Saginaw Hospital was founded in 1887 by a group of 24 Saginaw women, despite the doubts of their wealthy husbands and the skepticism of the city's doctors. The women persevered, proposing building a hospital for women and children. At the suggestion of local physicians, the hospital would also serve the general needs of the community. Officials selected part of a block bounded by Cooper, Harrison and Fayette streets for the new hospital and lumber baron, Arthur Hill, and his brother, Wilbur, donated the farmland to the hospital association.
Saginaw Hospital opened in 1889 with room for 24 patients. That same year, the School of Nursing was established. In 1898, the hospital's name was changed to Saginaw General Hospital.
Some early milestones included Saginaw General Hospital expanding to include 100 beds and a 22-bed nursery in 1921. Men were given 12 seats on the 24-seat board of trustees in 1924. A prenatal clinic opened in 1928 and a free diagnostic clinic opened in 1933. In 1939, the hospital celebrated its 50th anniversary.
Four years later, in 1943, the original hospital building was torn down and a wing was built to match the construction of 1921; the nursery was also expanded to 50 beds.
Then in 1962, a $3.2 million building program was completed, which boosted bed capacity and included an intensive care unit. The hospitals entrance and main section located on Harrison Street was also added. The Auxiliary, a dedicated group of volunteers, opened its first gift shop in 1962.
In 1968, a landmark agreement was made between health care neighbors, St. Luke's and Saginaw General hospitals. Rather than maintain duplicate, costly, complete services less than a city block apart from one another the hospitals agreed to consolidate resources for obstetrics and pediatrics. Saginaw General took sole responsibility for obstetrics while St. Luke's concentrated on pediatrics. At this time, Saginaw General enlarged and expanded its obstetrical services and incorporated a regional neonatal intensive care unit.
During the 1970's building projects were completed, adding numerous floors and wings to the hospital. Many services and beds were also added to the hospital.
In July 1993, Saginaw General North opened its doors to serve the community. Located at 5400 Mackinaw, Saginaw General North offered outpatient surgery, physical medicine, diagnostic imaging, a breast diagnostic center, the Frank N. Andersen Regional Eye Institute, Cancer Care Center, Cardiovascular Health and Wellness Center and Occupational and Preventive Medicine Associates of Michigan.
In 1996, Saginaw General Hospital began to explore the possibility of forming an alliance with another health care provider to continue to provide the highest quality health care to the communities served.
On May 29, 1997, Saginaw General Hospital selected St. Luke's Healthcare Association, a long time neighbor, as the organization to merge with.
On July 1, 1998, the merger was completed and Covenant HealthCare was formed.
ST. LUKE'S HEALTHCARE ASSOCIATION
1886 - 1998
The rapidly growing city of Saginaw was a challenging place for women in the late 19th century. The Thompson Street Mission Home was founded in 1886 by a small, but dedicated, charitable group to help these struggling women; providing shelter, encouragement and help in obtaining work.
The matrons of the mission soon realized that their efforts needed to be extended. Hard-working women - some being mothers trying desperately to care for their children - were suffering the cruelties of underemployment. Through this need, the idea of a hospital for women took root.
In 1888, the mission moved to Janes Street and was rededicated as Working Women's Home and Hospital.
From 1888 to 1895, the hospital - and its reputation - grew by leaps and bounds, expanding with a large brick addition, growing from six beds to several private rooms, a general ward, a large nursery and an operating room. A nursing school was also established.
In 1910 a children's ward was added, followed by expanded operating rooms in 1916. The Janes Street building served Saginaw until the late 1940's.
During the Great Depression, the aging facility and corporation fell on hard times. Rather than being closed, it was taken over on May 1, 1932 by the Lutheran Inner Mission Society of Saginaw Valley. All the finances and responsibilities for the original Working Women's Home and Hospital were also acquired. In a formal dedication ceremony, the facility was renamed St. Luke's Hospital.
In 1935, the Inner Mission Society passed control of the hospital to a new group - the St. Luke's Hospital Association, a non-profit corporation comprised of interested segments of the area's Lutheran community. This was a turning point, generating renewed dedication and optimism. Through donations, careful management and eventually some community aid, St. Luke's Hospital was not only surviving but actually growing again.
Prior to World War II, discussions began regarding a new St. Luke's facility on the west side of the river. The population of the city was shifting and there was a need for a hospital in this developing area. However, the war effort captured everyone's attention and dreams of a future, new hospital became distant.
Following the war, the need for a new site and building became critical. On October 16, 1949, the cornerstone was laid for the new St. Luke's Hospital with the inscription: Soli Deo Gloria, meaning Glory to God alone. Approximately a year and half later, on February 25, 1951, the ribbon was cut for the new 144 bed St. Luke's Hospital. A weeklong grand opening had Saginaw residents standing in line for hours to tour the new facility. Over 20,000 people toured the hospital that week.
In 1968, a landmark agreement was made between health care neighbors, St. Luke's and Saginaw General hospitals. Rather than maintain duplicate, costly, complete services less than a city block apart from one another the hospitals agreed to consolidate resources for obstetrics and pediatrics. Saginaw General took sole responsibility for obstetrics while St. Luke's concentrated on pediatrics. St. Luke's pediatrics unit was enlarged and refined, incorporating a pediatric intensive care unit - a feature still unique to the east central Michigan area.
In 1985, six St. Luke's physicians opened the first MedExpress located in Frankenmuth, closely followed in 1987 by 10 physicians opening a MedExpress on State Street in Saginaw. St. Luke's purchased these facilities in 1989. MedExpress services were expanded to include a location in Shields.
In 1986, St. Luke's constructed the Surgicare building for outpatient ambulatory services.
In 1987, St. Luke's purchased the Saginaw Osteopathic Hospital facility on Michigan Avenue allowing St. Luke's to extend their health care capacity.
Always community minded St. Luke's and its family continued to grow. In 1998, with long time neighbor, Saginaw General Hospital, a strong, healthy alliance is formed. Together they formed Covenant HealthCare System, a name, literally, filled with promise for everyone involved.